Hi and welcome! I'm Tara.
I'm an NYC-based cellist and educator. And an aspiring web developer. I'm classically trained as a cellist and enjoy working with all kinds of music. Old music, new music, classical, new-classical, indie, alt, pop, rock, fusion of any sorts, and of course much much more. I particularly love the communication and colors accessible in chamber music, and the cross-over opportunities for cello or string ensembles with singer-songwriters, bands, and other "non-classical" musicians.
As a performer, I enjoy the versatility of the freelance world performing with orchestras, theater shows, traditional and non-traditional chamber ensembles, new music groups, rock bands, singer-songwriters, and any unique projects in-between. I record session work for all kinds of projects, and enjoy writing and sharing original music. I'm currently a member of the post-rock instrumental trio You Bred Raptors as well as the cello duo The Whiskey Girls.
As an educator, I'm passionate about guiding individuals of all ages and levels through their path with music, creativity and self-expression. I am certified in the Suzuki Method and currently teach on faculty at the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music, Queens College Preparatory, and Suzuki on the Island.
Before calling NYC home, I spent over a decade in Cleveland, OH, performing and teaching in Cleveland's vibrant music scene. During this time I was Assistant Principal of the Akron Symphony, a faculty member at CIM Prep, managed a private studio and quartet business, and played for numerous bands and singer-songwriters, including Seafair and Cellocentric.
Education & Training
- Professional Studies Diploma in cello performance from the Cleveland Institute of Music
- M.M. in cello performance on full scholarship from the University of Miami
- B.M. in cello performance with High Honors from the University of Michigan
- Principal cello instructors include Richard Aaron, Ross Harbaugh, Anthony Elliott and Louis Potter, Jr.
- Additional orchestral repertoire instruction from Stephen Geber, Richard Weiss and Alan Harrell from the Cleveland Orchestra
- Chamber music coachings from Peter Salaff of the Cleveland Quartet, members of the Cavani String Quartet & Miami String Quartet
- Master class performances include Antonio Meneses, Jules Eskin and Peter Shelton
- Suzuki certification units 1-8 with Pamela Devenport at the School for Strings
- Suzuki certification units 1-3 with Tanya Carey at the Cleveland Institute of Music
- Suzuki certification unit 1 with Barbara Wampner at the Chicago Suzuki Institute
- Board member of the Violoncello Society of NY for 3 years, holding title positions of Treasurer, Member Secretary and Webmaster
- Alumnist of the New Directions Cello Festival, Eugene Friesen's Creative Cello Workshop and the Mike Block String Camp
- Alumnist of the Henry Mancini Institute (2003 in LA), Orchestra of the Americas (2002) and the Interlochen Arts Camp
Playing music professionally brings along some fun moments, both big and small. Opportunities to play with notable artists is always a highlight! A few that stand out include playing with Yo-Yo Ma, Joshua Bell, The Foo Fighters, Michael Buble, Kanye West, Josh Groban, Barry Manilow, the Trans Siberian Orchestra, Patrizio Buanne, Smokey Robinson, Diana Krall and Randy Newman.
In 2008, Tara was a winner of the My Grammy Moment Competition on YouTube, and was flown out to Los Angeles to perform with the Foo Fighters and John Paul Jones at the 2008 Grammy Awards Show. In addition to accompanying the Foo's in the My Grammy Moment Orchestra, she was one of top three finalists of the competition that performed a live solo and was introduced by Jason Bateman live at the Grammy Awards Show. Check out Tara's audition video for the YouTube competition that started it all!
Stay tuned as live performances start to pick back up!
Projects & Media
Filter & sort items by category. This section is under construction - stay tuned for more info!
- Current Projects
- Past Projects
"Colours" EP by Seafair / Released August 2016
Trained and certified in the Suzuki Cello Method, Tara incorporates Suzuki, traditional pedagogy, and non-traditional styles of playing in her teaching. She enjoys working with students of all ages (young students and adults welcome!), and lessons are tailored to a student's individual age and musical needs.
A seasoned studio musician, Tara can lay down string parts that are already written or work with you to create string part(s) either before-hand or on the fly in the studio. Inquire for rates and more info!
Interested in adding special music to a special occassion? Consider solo cello, string quartet, string trio or string duo ensembles for beauty and elegance! Inquire for rates and more info.
Classical, neo-classical, cross-over, pop, rock, experimental, alternative, etc. Performances, consulting, string arrangements. Session or Project based pricing. Anything you might need a cellist for, I'm your gal.
Get in touch by submitting the contact form below or sending an email message directly.